Fertility Friday: Bone Broth
Not chicken broth from a box or can but good, old fashioned, home made broth that has spent hours, or even days, simmering is one of the best foods you can eat. Not only for fertility but also during pregnancy, lactation and every other stage of life. It even makes a fabulous addition to baby food, or as a first food.
According to Chinese Medicine bone fertility has a lot to do with the kidneys and drinking a cup of bone broth is like drinking a kidney tonic. why? Because the inside of the bone contains bone marrow, which will be a component of bone broth, which according to Traditional Chinese Medicine is produced from Kidney Jing.
As you may recall from anatomy class– the inside of bone contains bone marrow and according to TCM theory, bone marrow is produced from Kidney Jing. So, basically drinking a cup of bone broth daily is like drinking a cup of Kidney Jing (essence).
There are a plethora of reasons to make bone broth a part of your daily life, from increasing kidney function to preventing stretch marks. Here is a great article with more information on the beauty of broth and an easy to follow recipe to get you started.
Here are some tips for making a delicious broth:
- Use high quality bones. That means organic, grass-fed animals. You can choose chicken, fish, pig, cow, whatever you like. You can even use a bit of each if you want. They all provide great benefits.
- Collect your carcasses before you make it! Make a roasted chicken and keep the bones in the freezer until you have a few more. That will give you a more nutrient rich broth and you’ll be able to make more of it at once.
- Dont forget to add vinegar to the water to help draw all the minerals out of the bones and into the broth.
- For a deeper flavor from bones roast and brown them in the oven before using them to make stock.
- Add your favorite herbs and vegetables
- Make large quantities so you can easily freeze them (in glass jars) for future use. There’s nothing better than having home made bone broth on hand when someone gets sick.
- Sip on bone broth daily, especially during the winter to keep your immune system boosted!
Once you’ve got your bone broth down try my recipe for lemon chicken soup!
What are your favorite ways to use bone broth? Does anyone else drink it regularly?