Buckwheat Yogurt Breakfast Cake
OK, this isn’t exactly a cake. In fact, it’s not a cake at all. But it is very delicious, full of healthy ingredients and in my experience calling something a “cake” and tossing a few dark chocolate chips on top makes it a whole lot easier when attempting to get a 5 year old to try something new. This creation came from a need to use up a giant tub of organic, whole yogurt that my husband bought as well as gut wrenching desire for my daughter to eat something new for breakfast. So we’ve been calling it breakfast cake and I must say it is really pretty delicious. It makes the perfect breakfast or lunchbox snack so even my picky little eater and it’s pretty simple to make and it freezes perfectly too! What more could you ask for?!?
Ingredients (use organic whenever possible)
- 1 cup organic whole wheat or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole fat plain yogurt
- 2 ripe, mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil + more to grease the pan
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
- In another bowl mash the bananas and add all the wet ingredients to mix well
- Add the flour mixture and half of the chocolate chips to the wet ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour the batter into a well greased round or 8 inch square baking dish
- Top with the remaining chocolate chips
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until a fork in the center comes out clean.
Freezing tip: Once cooled cut the “cake” into squares, put them on a plate covered in parchment paper and freeze overnight. Once they are completely frozen removed them from the plate and store them in a freezer safe ziplock bag. Defrost as many pieces as you’d like overnight or put them back into the oven to defrost.